Divided By Zero
Campaign House Rules (5e)
1. Initiative: Will be doing initiative as d20 + Dex Modifier, as opposed to the 5e standard rule.
2. Weapon Specialization. Some racial feats become redundant when taking a certain class (dwarf fighter for example – dwarf racial of weapons becomes useless), therefore I will implement Specialization. If a character has duplicate proficiency (Specialized) (again, think dwarf with Battle Axe), then character gets a d4) usable for a “to hit” roll (in addition to the normal +1 to hit). The inspiration is recovered after a long rest.
3. Armor Specialization. Same generalization as above. At specialized, while wearing that particular armor, gain a +1d4 inspiration roll to initiative. At mastery, gain an additional +1 to AC and can choose to turn a disadvantage roll to a normal roll or normal roll to an advantage roll (once per day).
4. Literacy – must have at least 9 INT to read and write.
5. Partial spell components will be required, but only if the spell component is valued at more than 100gps.
6. Equipment Sizes: Characters will not be able to wield or equip weapons/armor that is not size appropriate. Armor will be classified as S,M,L,H. Weapons can be wielded if smaller that your size, and one size bigger but with suffer a -1 str and -1 prof, and must be wielded two-handed. A shield one size larger will offer double the protection, but will require two hands.
7. Ammunition: Unless magical, ammunition is unlimited. Please note: an extremely long combat could result in DM adjudication of empty.
8. Advantage / Disadvantage die cancel each other out – just makes it easier. Example: if character has an Adv. die, and the opponent has an Adv. die then both sides lose Adv. die.
9. Proficiency in Medium Armor (or above) provides proficiency in shields.
10. HP. Change as follows:
d12: 1-6 counts as 7
d10: 1-5 counts as 6
d8: 1-4 counts as 5
d6: 1-3 counts as 4
11. Super Critical / Spectacular Failure. When rolling Adv./Disadv., if double 20s are rolled, counts as a super critical/heroic damage goes from 2x to 3×. For skill checks, DM rules something awesome. If double 1s are rolled, an attack fails spectacularly – you hit the closest ally in range, for skill check something awesome happens – player gets a chance to describe the faux paus, but should be on the level of a loud fart in church.
12. Healing kits are needed for short rest HP recovery.
13. Since I do not use XP rewards, cool ideas will be rewarded with inspiration dice, that can be stored on a basis of character level*1.5 (round down). Inspiration dice can be used either positively or negatively – meaning you can use an ispiration die to force an enemy to subtract the number rolled.
14. Encumbrance: Light armor has no encumbrance, medium will be quarter weight if worn (full if carried), heavy will be half weight worn (full if carried). Coins will be 100 = 1 lbs. Gems will be “weightless” unless otherwise stated by DM.